Sunday, December 4, 2011

Vietnamese Vs. Yelp

Here is an open letter to Yelp I recently read on the OC Weekly blog. Very on point with the issues/problems many restauranteurs having with yelp these days. If you think yelpers provide credible reviews, think again...


Dear would-be connoisseurs of Vietnamese food:

We've never met, but I've read your body of work on Yelp. Some of you really get it, and I bookmark places I think look likely. The nice thing about Vietnamese food is that no matter how often I eat it, there's more to learn--and I've been introduced to more than one favorite by sites like Yelp and Chowhound. Some of you are making your first forays into a new cuisine, an admirable step, made more admirable by admissions like "perhaps I don't understand" when you are panning a dish...

... and then there are those of you who make reading Little Saigon-area reviews an exercise in frustration. Your M.O. seems to be peremptory dismissal of an entire cuisine because you went one time with firm guards up against having a good time. It wouldn't be such a big deal, except that Yelp reviews have a concrete effect on businesses, and not everyone has the finely-tuned crap detector I've developed in years of reading that site. Following these few suggestions will make your experience better and my time on Yelp better spent..."



Read the rest here...


http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/2011/06/an_open_letter_to_yelp_reviewe.php
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/2011/06/an_open_letter_to_yelp_reviewe.php

No comments:

Post a Comment